Wednesday, February 20, 2008

So What Will Become of my Foam Hand?

But this I say, brethren, the time is short, so that from now on even those who have wives should be as though they had none, those who weep as though they did not weep, those who rejoice as though they did not rejoice, those who buy as though they did not possess, and those who use this world as not misusing it. For the form of this world is passing away.
1 Corinthians 7:29-31

My wife had to be the first to know

Several years ago I approached my wife and told her there was something I needed to tell her. “You should sit down,” I cautioned her. Looking aback at the incident now, I realize I wanted her to sit so it would be less easy for her to gain access to something to throw at my head.

“What is it,” she said nervously.

“You are not number one in my life anymore,” I announced to her, determining that my opening remark must sear her heart regardless of the initial pain. She needed to both remember the phrase and assume it herself.

Quickly (and I do mean quickly) I explained how Jesus Christ was numero uno and why that was important to our relationship. Our relationships with Jesus Christ could not take a backseat to our relationships with each other.

“Am I number two?”

“Well honey, yes and no.” This time I ducked fully expecting a handful of crystal coasters to come flying in my direction. “In God’s economy everything is number two,” not realizing until after I said the phrase, “number two,” that I just compared her to something quite offensive.

What I finally was able to convey to my wife is that Jesus Christ is our top priority and we must depend upon Him to prioritize the rest of our lives. In so doing we can trust that all our relationships will be enhanced, not to mention all our other needs.

Time is short

We need to function as if the Lord’s return and/or our demise is but a second away. The only things for which we need strive are an improved relationship with Christ Jesus and an obedient spirit.

But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you. Matthew 6:33

No comments: