Thursday, February 21, 2008

The Ugly Boy

Zechariah 13:9

I will bring the one-third through the fire, Will refine them as silver is refined, And test them as gold is tested. They will call on My name, And I will answer them. I will say, ‘This is My people’; And each one will say, ‘The Lord is my God.’

We have all said things we wished we never said and thought things we wished we never thought and while it angers me that I continue to do it, it brings me much joy when the Lord chooses to bless me and correct me because of it. This is a story of God’s faithfulness in His promise to refine His followers and His constant reminder that He is in control.


Several weeks ago I received a bundle of child packets for Christian events I would be attending with my ministry, Compassion International. Children living in poverty who are available for sponsorship have their photographs inserted into the tops of these packets along with a short biography about them, their family situation, and the countries in which they live.


In mid July I set out for the first event. I placed the packets neatly on the table and went about my charge of praying over each child, lifting up each of their names and Compassion projects before the Lord. Moving from packet to packet (and praying rather quickly) I paused over one little boy.


“Albert (not his real name) is 4 years old and lives with his parents in Haiti,” his biography began. I stared at his picture long and hard. Albert was not an attractive child; in fact I must confess that my first thought was sadly, “Albert was an ugly boy.”


I know how horrible it was for me to think that. How dare I make such an awful assessment of one of Godâs precious children, but unfortunately it was over; I could not un-ring the bell I just rang. My heart ached for the child and my next thought seemed to be much truer than my first; this child would probably not get sponsored today. I was ashamed of myself for thinking it, but it seems that potential sponsors are always drawn to the cute kids. Albert was not sponsored this day.


Several events had passed and I laid out the child packets for the last time this past Saturday night. Finding Albert on the table again my heart sank at the inevitability of having to pack up his photo and return him to Compassion HQs in Colorado Springs. You see, I see these packets as actual children, not just merely bundles of photographs and papers representing children. It pains me deeply to box them up and ship them back.


As the evening progressed several people stopped by the Compassion table, but no one yet sponsored a child. A Mom and Dad came by with their two kids and we talked for a long time. One of the first things they shared with me is how the Lord has blessed their family and how they were able to sponsor six children already. One of the benefits of this ministry is being able to listen to these testimonies. I never imagined that they would soon be sponsoring their seventh child.


While Mom chatted with me, dad and the kids were looking over each packet and reading the biographies to them selves. Every few seconds one would comment on what they were reading, “Hey this kid has my birthday,” said one child. “This one carries wood and buckets of water to help with the chores — and she’s only 4 years old,” the other one said!


Mom was getting into it also and I took a step back and watched as they poured over the kids on the table. I wasn’t really paying attention when Mom all of a sudden handed me a packet.
“My husband wants to sponsor this child,” she said, “of all the children we sponsor; he never got to pick any of them.”


I was naturally elated that they were about to sponsor their seventh child and almost a little shocked; I just didn’t see it coming.


Then I looked down at the photograph and saw that it was little Albert. I felt the lump forming in my throat and began to say ‘politely’ that I didn’t think Albert would be sponsored today. Mom looked at me and said, “My husband thought the same thing and thatâs why he chose him.”


Mom and I began to cry. I couldn’t tell if Dad was crying, he had turned away slightly.
In those few seconds, the Lord was teaching me many things. My tears flowed in part for Albert, in part for this awesome Christian family, and in part for God’s grace to teach me and bless me through it all.


Although my faith had been weak and my perception of His power deficient, the Lord opted to refine rather than rebuke. Talk about your unmerited favor! God’s grace abounded that day.
The event, a Christian concert was over and the crowds poured out of the venue. Many more children were sponsored that evening and as the crowds began to thin, up walked Mom and Dad and the kids.


“We want to sponsor one more child,” Mom said. “The Lord through Grant (one of the band members with the Christian band ‘Sonic Flood’) really moved us with his words about Compassion.” My smile was so broad, if I wore lipstick it would have gotten all over my ears.
As Mom finished up signing up for child number eight, her daughter ran up to her and excitedly announced, “Dad said we can do one more.”


And immediately Jesus stretched out Hishand and caught him, and said to him,“O you of little faith, why did you doubt?” Matthew 14:31


(*Some other good “Compassion International” blogs for today: Shaun Groves, Virginia Reid testimony, and Ann Kroeler)

1 comment:

Dawn Ward said...

Oh Dave! What a story! It brought tears to my eyes. That family chose Albert because God chose Albert. What an example of His love for each of us. Thank you for your heart for these kids and for sharing it with us. What an inspiration.

Thanks for stopping by my blog.

Blessings,
Dawn