Sunday, April 6, 2008

You Were Only Meant To Read This If You Are Reading This

Your eyes saw my substance, being yet unformed. And in Your book they all were written, The days fashioned for me, When as yet there were none of them. Psalm 139:16

This past Thursday night I was at the New Monmouth Baptist Church in Middletown, NJ to see the Christian band known as Hawk Nelson. The truth is that I was there as a volunteer for Compassion International hoping to sign-up a gazillion new sponsors for children enrolled in the Compassion program.

That didn’t happen

Daniel Biro, the bass player for Hawk Nelson took time between sets to share about the Compassion child he sponsors and urged those in attendance to sponsor children as well. Afterwards they showed an impressive Compassion video. I stood waiting at the Compassion table for a rush of people that never came.

As the concert came to an end, two teenage girls approached the table and spoke those words that every advocate loves to hear, "We would like to sponsor a child!" After a few moments they walked away with a little girl from Honduras to whom they felt Spiritually led. That was the only child sponsored on this night.

One Child

It is very easy for me to become judgmental in situations such as these. On the drive home I began picking apart the evening in my mind, looking for fault in every corner. Then God spoke to my heart.

"Focus on what’s good, not bad;"God said, "don’t focus on what didn’t happen, but focus on what I did."

Then it hit me--the Lord had this entire evening orchestrated before He laid the foundations of the earth. God knew, long before this little Compassion child was ever born, that He would bring her into a loving relationship with two young, Christian teenage girls from New Jersey. Through them, the body of Christ, He would provide for her needs, both physical and spiritual. One could say that He allowed this entire Christian-concert event to occur just so these three girls could meet.

That is amazing

It also occurred to me that the Lord allowed me to witness this just so I might share it with others. He knew (long before I knew) that I would be writing this post, perhaps so that you might read it and discover for the very first time that God has a child He wants you to meet. Consider this: two teenage girls were given a choice…

And they said yes to God—Will You?

COMPASSION dave

1 comment:

Jenny said...

It isn't about numbers, but I pray more people would be responsive to Jesus' call to sponsor and love those precious children! Your post made me tear up...guess I was meant to read it.
I'm the blogger that posted about visiting my Compassion child in Bolivia. Just wanted to thank you for the encouragement to do that; I plan on beginning that process when I arrive in the fall. Thank you!