Monday, March 24, 2008

Paralyzing Ignorance

But as for you, you meant evil against me; but God meant it for good, in order to bring it about as it is this day, to save many people alive. Genesis 50:20

An ‘After Easter Dinner’ discussion…

“These children would be better off if we just let them die and then they would go right to heaven.”

As I listened to these words, my eyes closed and my head flopped back into the sofa cushion as if I were suddenly paralyzed. However, in less than a second’s time, anger-provoked adrenalin surged up my spine. My neck stiffened, my eyes opened, and my tongue slipped out quickly moistening my lips, signaling my brain, “Your mouth is clear for take off.”

God Speaks

Anybody ever ask you if Jesus talks to you? Well He speaks to me, and thankfully He spoke to me at this very moment. “Don’t say it, ” was all He said. It was enough. I acknowledged His command by again allowing my neck to go limp.He kept speaking and reminded me that this is why I am an advocate for children living in poverty. Oh, not to verbal battle in situations such as these, but to educate folks who are willing to listen, willing to learn, and willing to obey His Biblical mandates regarding the poor. He also reminded me that I must be prepared. He also gave me a new application for these words found in Ephesians 4:26:

Be angry, and do not sin

Thank you Jesus! The alternative to anger is to not be un-angry, but to be obedient to the Holy Spirit. God says, “Are you angry? Ok, here are some healthy options that will actually make a difference instead of making things worse.”

So, for the last 18 hours or so since ‘it’ occurred, I have been rehearsing the godly response to when someone says, “Let the children die.” The truth be told is that I’ll likely be the next one to say it, as in, “You won’t believe what I heard the other day.”

The Lord allowed that bit of ignorance in my life and He is determined that I use something very bad to do something very right.Oh, by the way, letting children die is not Biblical. If you were a mom or day pleading for the life of your child, would you ever want to hear that your baby would be better of dead. Me either.

This is the proper answer: Child Sponsorship

For you were once darkness, but now you are light in the Lord. Walk as children of light (for the fruit of the Spirit* is in all goodness, righteousness, and truth), finding out what is acceptable to the Lord. Ephesians 5:8-10

COMPASSION dave and the Jesus + Compassion Group (*where sponsors hang out)

No comments: